Who qualifies for the loan?
The 19+ Advanced Learning Loan is not means-tested and does not require a credit check, but to be eligible for a loan you must be:
- Aged 19 to 23 with prior level 3 qualification on the first day of your course
- Aged 24 and over on the first day of your course
- Starting a course on or after 1st August
- Ordinarily a resident in the UK/EU/EFA for at least three years before the start date of your course
- Enrolling on a full Level 3, repeat level 3 or Level 4 and Level 5 course
- No repayments until you are earning over £25,000
How to pay back?
- You do not have to pay any course fees up front
- You pay back your loan (plus interest) when you have finished your course and start earning more than £25,000 a year
- If your income drops below £25000 – loan repayments stop
Each month you pay back 9% of any income over £25,000. For example,
If you earn £28,000 a year £25,000 = £3,000
9% of £3,000 = £270
£270 /12 = £22.50
Your monthly repayments would be £22.50
How to Apply?
All applicants must complete:
- Maths and English Initial Assessment
- Information Advice and Guidance(IAG)
- Learning and funding information letter: this will be provided to complete the application.
You can’t apply if you’re:
- getting Student Finance for Higher Education
- on an Traineeship training scheme
- on a Community Learning course